At each institution of higher learning in Rheinland-Pfalz, a University Council advises and assists in all important affairs. It advances the profile, performance, and competitiveness of the university. Among other functions, the University Council endorses the charter. It also sanctions the establishment, modification, and the closure of academic units and approves the allocation of financial resources as proposed by the University Senate. Further, the University Council advises the university in fundamental matters, in particular in the preparation of proposals for further development, the establishment of programs of studies, and the approval of university development plans.
The term of the University Council is five years. The Council consists of ten members, five of whom are appointed from the areas of business, science, and public life. The other five members are appointed from the University of Applied Sciences Ludwigshafen am Rhein. The University Council elects the Head along with two Assistant Heads and determines the by-laws. The Head and one of the Assistant Heads may not be representatives of the university.
- Dr. Dieter Wagner, Head of the University Council
- Prof. Dr. Karl-Heinz Beißner, Professor, University of Applied Sciences Ludwigshafen am Rhein
- Marco Esser, Commerzbank AG
- Prof. Dr. Beate Kremin-Buch, Professor, University of Applied Sciences Ludwigshafen am Rhein
- Prof. Dr. Arnd Götzelmann, Professor, University of Applied Sciences Ludwigshafen am Rhein
- Prof. Dr. Susanne Härterich, Professor, University of Applied Sciences Ludwigshafen am Rhein
- Prof. Dr. Beate Krais, Institute for Sociology, Technical University of Darmstadt
- Prof. Dr. Erhard Mielenhausen, former President, Technical College of Osnabrück
- Dr. Monika Völker, Leitende Ministerialdirigentin a.D.
- Prof. Dr. Thomas Wagner, University of Applied Sciences Ludwigshafen am Rhein